Friday, October 12, 2012

Seven Psychopaths: The Review I Didn't Write (But Totally Agree With)

Ever have one of those films that everyone you know seems to love up and down, and so you finally get around to checking it out and you're left thinking, "I mean, it was all right...?" One of those films for me was In Bruges. Maybe I just need to watch it again sans the hype and I'll enjoy it from a less anticipatory perspective. But to quote a co-worker of mine: "No you won't."

Which brings us to Seven Psychopaths. I kind of assumed that since the film was from Martin McDonagh, the writer/director of In Bruges, it would probably be a similar experience. Fortunately, I was able to attend a screening of Psychopaths this week and I'm glad I did because as it turns out, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

It's the story of a frustrated screenwriter who can't think of the story to back up his already predetermined title: Seven Psychopaths. What follows is a dark, occasionally gruesome, surprisingly touching at times, shaggy dog story within a shaggy dog story as we encounter the psychopaths our hero meets who foster his imagination, as well as the ones he conjures up for his own screenplay - which we get to see brought to life.  

I toyed with writing a review of the film but I soon read TK's write up over at Pajiba and felt he said almost exactly what it is I would have tried to put into words. So if you're interested, check out his review here

No comments:

Post a Comment