Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Today's Movie You Should Know: Fish Story

Once in a while I'll come across a film or song that never found its way into popular culture that connects with me in such a specific and satisfying way I'll think, what if I had never come across this? How many other films or songs are out there, perfectly tailored for my sensibilities, that I'm missing out on, or may never get to enjoy?

After lighting a single candle and crying a righteous tear I settle down and vow to share these obscure gems with others who would likely enjoy them as much as me. So today I'd like to share a Japanese film I discovered and fell in love with called Fish Story

The plot in a nutshell (which isn't easy to do) is that an asteroid is headed toward earth and among the many people and factors that could possibly prevent it, the most important may be an obscure punk song from the 1970's most people have never even heard. Honestly, I could say more but that's all I went in with and I had a blast enjoying the discovery that ensued. Obviously this film won't be for everyone - it is subtitled after all and may move at a clip some aren't accustomed to. But for those who enjoy films that are slightly left of center, Fish Story is a playful, inventive, (and most importantly) original, rock and roll, end of the world story that ties everything together in such a way it'll leave a big, dumb grin on your face. It's easily one of the most fun and satisfying movie watching experiences I had last year.

Fish Story is currently available on Netflix streaming and if you decide to check it out, you'll have to get back to me and let me know what you thought.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for a regular feature. Looking forward to seeing what else is on tap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zaki! Some of my favorite movies and albums are ones I've discovered incidentally, so I hope I can pass on a few future favorites to anyone else.

    Though, once I get to, "You guys ever heard of this hidden little gem called 'Avatar?'" Feel free to gently nudge me away from the microphone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may get there yet. For being the number one movie of all time, it's amazing how many people suddenly dislike and/or haven't seen AVATAR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brian, remember when we were roomies?!?!?! That was AWE-SOME!!!! Zaki, were YOU ever roomies with Brian? No? Interesting.

    Well, I guess I'll have to go watch Fish Story now.

    ReplyDelete

  5. شركة تنظيف ابوظبى 0567410494 التاج الملكى
    شركة تنظيف مسابح ابوظبى
    شركات تنظيف المنازل ابوظبى
    تعمل على تنظيف جميع الغرف والمطابخ والحمامات التي توجد في البيوت.


    ReplyDelete